Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Hero

Wile E. Coyote: Inventor. Philosopher. Test pilot. Lover.

Yes, Wile E. Is my hero. Sure, that's probably an unusual choice for a role model, but as a child of the seventies I spent my Saturdays sitting in front of the boob tube learning from him.

I watched him try, and I watched him fail, hundreds and hundreds of times. I watched him order great contraptions from the Acme company, which apparently doesn't have an internal product testing division, but must have some of the most amazing product liability lawyers in the known universe.

I always wondered why there were so many anvils in the desert. I wondered what he ate, since he never caught the damn roadrunner. I wondered where he got the money for all of his purchases. I wondered what kept him motivated.

Most of all, though, I rooted for him, even though I knew he would never succeed. Much like a Chicago Cubs fan, actually. I rooted for him because I knew, even at a young age, that
for Wile E. Coyote the reward wasn't the roadrunner, the reward was the hunt.

That's a lesson for all of us.

No comments: